History of The Leaves

Screenshot 2018-08-13 14.27.58.png
20150911131819_00001.jpg
Screenshot 2018-08-01 11.42.51.png
20150813135845_00001.jpg
20180801114535_00001 2.jpg
Screenshot 2018-08-03 11.42.53.png

1949

On July 8th, Inman Douglas, Fanny Fulton, James McReynolds, and Harry McRae founded The North Texas Nursing Home, Inc, the first Christian Science Nursing organization in the Dallas area.

1959

The North Texas Nursing Home, Inc.'s corporate charter was amended to reflect it's new name: The Leaves, Inc. The new name referenced Revelation 22:2 "and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of nations."
The Leaves served patients not only from the Dallas area, but from all of Texas and even the surrounding states.

1960

Attempts in Houston since 1948 to create a facility for Christian Science nursing in that city had stalled, and did not seem to have full support from local Christian Scientists. So the Board of the Houston Nursing Home, Inc. decided to donate its funds to The Leaves in support of a facility to be built in Dallas. The Board of The Leaves began holding meetings around Texas to acquaint local Christian Scientists with the idea and importance of a facility for Christian Science Nursing, and was able to raise about $90,000 including those funds donated by the Houston Nursing Home, Inc.
During this period much research and metaphysical work was done by the Board of The Leaves, those interested in The Leaves, and dedicated practitioners.

1961

The Board of The Leaves hired an architect, and planning began for a facility with 16 rooms, 2 nurses stations, a dining room, an admin office, and storage facilities. The President of the Tenacre Foundation, Burwell Harrison, came to Dallas to give advice based on his experience running a Christian Science nursing facility, and the Mother Church Board of Directors approved of the plans.

1965

On October 8th, ground was broken for construction of a building on Spring Valley Road. The plans drawn up by the architect had won an award from Progressive Architecture Magazine a few years earlier, and a number of area newspapers covered the construction of the new building.

1966

On September 25th, The Leaves held an open house for Christian Scientists and the community at large to tour the facilities.
On October 10th, the Christian Science Nursing wing officially opened.

1968

The Leaves was selected as one of seven buildings in the Dallas area for "architecture beauty."

1981

Because of the great need for quality Christian Science Nursing, The Leaves often found itself full, with no room to take in new patients, and had to turn people away. The Board of Trustees decided that if there was "such a need there will surely be the supply to meet it" and although the money was not yet there, they started plans to build additional space for patients. They also realized the need to build apartments and a dormitory for Christian Science Nurses, many of whom were students, and needed a place on campus to live.

1985

The new wing, apartments, and some needed renovations to the old wing were completed.

2005

In the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, short-term accommodation were provided for Christian Scientists displaced by the storms. This eventually became the Progressive Residential Living Program, which provides housing for Christian Scientists who want to live in a spiritually active community. Learn more on our Progressive Living Page.

2017

Major refurbishments to both wings started in 2008 were completed.